The Medical University of Bialystok received funding within the BECOMING project co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union (Action 2, Projects KA203 - Strategic partnerships for higher education).
Project titled: ”Educating Experts of the Future: Developing Bioinformatics and Biostatistics competencies of European Biomedical Students” (acronym: BECOMING) has been submitted by the University of Pecs to the Hungarian agency of Erasmus+ Programme (Tempus Public Foundation) in March 2019. The partnership organisations engaged in the project are: the Transnational University Limburg and the Medical University of Bialystok.
The Medical University of Bialystok will gain funding in the amount of EUR 80,850 (from total budget of EUR 259,150). Implementation of the project is planned for 3 years (01.09.2019-31.08.2022).
MUB employees will be engaged in the implementation of project activities as well as in close cooperation with partner institutions. On behalf of the MUB, International Cooperation Office will be responsible for administrative supervision of the project.
The demand for well-skilled biomedical data scientists is projected to grow in the following years. Therefore, the aim of the project is to support a change in the area related to the availability of well-trained bioinformaticians and biostatisticians. Abovementioned purpose will be achieve by the following activities:
- establishment of a network of academics from three partner institutions, capable of preparing educational programs aimed at training biostatisticians and bioinformaticians,
- exchange of opinions/expertises and best practices between the partner institutions,
- creation of modular courses that can be used in educational programs,
- development of the corresponding e-learning materials and their implementation,
- creation of a roadmap of the legal framework necessary for organisation of transnational educational programs in biostatistics and/or bioinformatics applied in life sciences that will facilitate training in these domains.
Among expected results of the projects are: increased educational potential of the partner institutions in the domain of bioinformatics and biostatistics, creation of novel courses in the abovementioned disciplines, establishing foundation for future educational initiatives such as joint programs, student exchange schemes. In addition, the partner universities will engage in international partnership projects which main activities will be connected with implementing new study programs or modifying the existing ones.
Foreign partners of MUB in the BECOMING project:
- The University of Pecs has a very long history. The beginnings of the establishment of the university date back to 1367. Currently, over 20,000 people study at 10 faculties, making it one of the largest universities in Hungary. Over 1400 lecturers and scientists work at this Hungarian university. The university has a very high degree of internationalisation, as the number of foreign students is over 4000, coming from 114 countries around the world. Most of the students come from Iran, China, Jordan, Turkey and South Korea. It is worth adding that the MUB has concluded the bilateral agreement for cooperation with this Hungarian University as its the most important scientific centre which supports research and development activities.
- The Transnational University of Limburg is an example of one of a kind partnership of two universities in two countries: Hasselt University (Belgium) and Maastricht University (the Netherlands). The teaching programs in the field of statistics and biomedical/molecular sciences have been established within aforementioned partnership.