PPM-UMB Openness Policy
Guided by the principle of transparency, taking into account the benefits of extensive cooperation and exchange of knowledge, and wishing to ensure unrestricted access to knowledge for everyone, this uniform Openness Policy of the Polish Medical Platform (hereinafter referred to as the "Policy") is introduced for the institutions that jointly implement the project "Polish Medical Platform - a portal for knowledge and research potential management" (hereinafter referred to as "PPM Project"), i.e.:
Medical University of Piastów Śląskich in Wrocław,
Medical University of Bialystok,
Medical University of Gdansk,
Silesian Medical University in Katowice,
Medical University of Lublin,
Pomeranian Medical University in Szczecin,
Medical University of Warsaw,
Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine in Łódź,
hereinafter referred to as "PPM Project Partners".
- Terms used in this Policy that are not defined herein shall be understood in accordance with the definitions adopted in the Copyright and Related Rights Act of February 4, 1994 (Journal of Laws 2018, item 1191 as amended).
- This Policy does not violate the provisions of the Act of 4 February 1994 on copyright and related rights and the provisions arising from internal acts of the PPM Project Partners governing the principles of intellectual property management and commercialization applicable to the PPM Project Partners.
- The policy applies to:
- employees of PPM Project Partners who create intellectual property in the course of their employment,
- students and doctoral students, if it results from the agreement concerning the rights to intellectual property concluded between the PPM Project Partner and the student or doctoral student,
- all persons with whom PPM Project Partners have entered into an agreement providing for the application of this Policy,
- hereinafter referred to as "Author" or "Creator", respectively.
The Policy adopts the following definitions of terms:
Publication - a published work that has been reproduced with the author's permission and whose copies have been made available to the public, or a distributed work made available to the public in such a way that anyone can access it at a time and place of their own choosing. Publications are in particular:
publications in scientific journals,
publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings,
chapters in scientific monographs,
Research Data - data collected or created as a material for analysis
as part of scientific research, in particular: anonymised results of experiments, measurements, observations, statistics, surveys, photos, including such data which has
a graphic form.
PPM Repository - an IT tool used for making available to the public the scientific output of PPM Partners (i.e., Publications and Research Data in particular) deposited and stored in local repositories.
Local Repository - an IT tool used for depositing, storing and sharing the scientific output of the PPM Project Partner in such a way that everyone can have access to it at a time and place of their own choosing under the terms of the Creative Commons open license.
Open Access to Publications
- Authors should strive to provide open access to Publications by depositing their electronic form in the Local Repository and making them publicly available in the PPM Repository so that anyone can access them from a place and at a time and place of their choice, and to enable free-of-charge and technically unlimited use thereof, together with the granting of licences on the following terms in the Local Repository rules.
- The open access referred to in paragraph 1 above shall be provided immediately after the publication of the Publication, subject to paragraph 3.
- Detailed rules of depositing works in the Local Repository by Authors from the units of PPM Partners, are defined in individual regulations of Local Repositories of PPM Partners.
- Authors shall in particular make prior agreements with both the publishers and the co-authors of Publications with the publishers and co-authors of the Publications, to grant non-exclusive licences to such works, which shall not contain provisions limiting or excluding the possibility of open access to the Publications indicated in paragraph 1.
Open Access to Research Data
- In case of Research Data to which particular Partners of the PPM Project hold exclusive economic rights, the decision to place them in the PPM Local Repository is made by the Rector or the Director of the research institute or a person authorized by them in consultation with the Research Data Creator.
- The creators of the Research Data shall make every effort to ensure open access to the Research Data to which the PPM Project Partner holds the economic rights along with the related metadata, in particular by:
- the establishment of a Research Data Management Plan defining the principles for data management during and after the completion of the research, specifying the types of data to be collected, processed or produced during the research, specifying methodologies and standards to be applied to the data, as well as rules for data sharing and long-term archiving;
- updating the Research Data management plan during the course of the research, if necessary;
- depositing Research Data in the Local Repository;
- where possible, making Research Data deposited in the Local Repository publicly available so that anybody can access it at a time and without legal restrictions, along with granting a license on the terms and conditions adopted by the Local Repository;
- ensure that Research Data is reliable, traceable, accessible, researchable, and useful beyond the original purpose for which it was collected.
- Detailed rules for depositing Research Data in the Local Repository are defined in individual regulations of the Local Repositories of the PPM Project Partners.
- The PPM Project Partners agree that this Policy will remain in effect indefinitely.
- This Policy shall enter into force upon its adoption by the respective statutory bodies of all PPM Partners without any amendments and changes. The Policy comes into force as of the date of its adoption by the last PPM Project Partner.
- Any changes to the content of the Policy require the consent of all Partners of the PPM Project and require a written form in the form of an annex to this Policy under pain of nullity. The provision of paragraph 2, second sentence, applies accordingly.
- PPM Project Partners unanimously declare that during the project duration period, no of the PPM Project Partners will not deviate from the principles set forth in this Policy.
- At the end of the project's lifespan, PPM Project Partners may resign from applying this Policy by giving 3 months' notice. The termination of application of the Policy is effected by means of a written declaration of resignation from the PPM Project Partner to the other PPM Project Partners. The termination of the Policy does not affect the validity of the Policy with respect to other PPM Partners.
RESOLUTION NO 84/2018 OF THE SENATE OF THE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF BIALYSTOK OF 27.09.2018 on: adoption of the Openness Policy of the Polish Medical Platform
ORDINANCE NO 62/2020 OF THE RECTOR OF THE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF BIALYSTOK of 26.06.2020 on: collecting, compiling and sharing digital versions of doctoral theses prepared at the Medical University of Bialystok, including publications of employees, doctoral students and students of the Medical University of Bialystok